I am currently watching Buck Rodgers on DVD: Pure 70's Cheese. After 4 discs, however, it has become pure brain candy. I notice that Buck has some similarities with my childhood hero Captain James T. Kirk.
1) Both fly cool looking space ships - The Enterprise will always be the best capital ship ever, but, the Earth Defense Force starfighter ranks up there next to the X-Wing and the Colonial Viper.
2) Inevitably, clothing gets torn - The writers seem to go out of their way to get Buck and Kirk into a situation where their torso is shown. Which leads to...
3) Both men are always, inexplicably, "oiled up." Its obviously supposed to be sweat, so, maybe they just have oily skin.
4) They surround themselves with capable friends: Kirk has Spock and McCoy; Buck has Wilma Deering and Dr. Huer. In addition, Buck has a robot name Twiki who says cool things like "Bidi Bidi Bidi"
5) Whether its the 23rd Century, or the 25th Century, there's a lady at every starport. Both Buck and Kirk are quite the ladies man.