Saturday, January 23, 2010

Handy Man Saturday

I came home from grocery shopping with Cindy this morning and was greeted by my oldest daughter. She informed me that her lock was broken on the door to her room.

As parents, we instantly switch to the “what did you do to screw it up” mode. It turned out everything was fine, but the latch was not aligning with the strike plate. The door would close, but you could effortless push it open.

Here is my time patented trick for fixing an interior door that can be pushed open.

  1. 1. Get about three or four magazines and a screw driver.
  2. 2. Loosen the screws on the butterfly hinge that is mounted to the door jamb.
  3. 3. Put the magazines under the door to push it up a little.
  4. 4. With the magazines still under the door, tighten the screws.

Nine times out of ten, this will fix the problem (and, gave me a chance to show the kids some of my mad handy man skillz).

1 comment:

Rick said...

Grunting helps, especially with a crowd.