Monday, October 08, 2007

Just a few thoughts rumbing around...

Sometimes, reading a familiar verse in a different translation helps bring a fresh perspective. I had that happen with Phillipians this weekend:
For we are the circumcision, who worship by the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh-- though I myself have reason for confidence in the flesh also. If anyone else thinks he has reason for confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness under the law, blameless. But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. (Php 3:3-7)
Perhaps my caffeine levels have been getting dangerously close to normal, or maybe I am just getting contemplative, but somehow, I wonder if I have missed something in my walk? Paul gives this incredible resume, a Jew among Jews, and he counted all of this as a loss. Granted, Paul sets the bar pretty high, but am I spending too much time in areas I am concerned about (weight, money, job etc)?



Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: