Thursday, May 04, 2006

Hump Day Happenings

Sometimes, our small group is like going a few rounds with Mike Tyson. That’s what I really appreciate about our SG leader: lessons can be tough. We have been going through Psalm 119, and got to verse 113: I hate vain thoughts: but thy law do I love. What keeps coming back to me, week after week, is, do I love God’s law and how do I know that I do. It is easy for me to tell you, “Yes, I love God’s Law.” It is, quite simply, reflexive for a Christian to respond that way. Wouldn’t it be odd for the response to be, “No”? Where I am going with this is, do my actions reflect my speech? Sadly, not as much as I would like to think they do. So, what are you going to do about that?

Orchestra rehearsal was a mixed bag. By 7:30, I am mentally drained from the day and I typically do not enjoy going to these rehearsals. Last night we had a full trumpet section (and a new trumpet player from the School of Music). We have been praying for the trumpet section in particular, and it is neat to see that prayer answered. Once the Choir came in at 8:30 for the run through, I really got pumped. The music we play is exciting, and having the Choir add the words just completes the experience.

3 comments:

Todd R. Vick said...

Good post Carlos. Loving the law is complete when it leads us to the grace that is behind it.

Rick said...

re-thinking what we believe about "God's Law" is helpful, because i think we bring a lot of bible-belt baggage to that particular exercise. also, you quoted the verse from KJV, right? newer translations put the first part of the verse as not liking double-mindedness, not necessarily "vain thoughts" - i find myself trying to be whole-hearted instead of that double-minded, keeping it real. and i think that context lends weight to the "love the Law" part of the verse following.

hmm? :)

Chuck said...

The Hebrew word, ce`eph, means divided, or even skeptical thoughts (I love swordsearcher, best Bible software I have ever purchased). I think that the context used in sg was "vain" as in self centered because I recall that we did alot of page turning to other verses regarding vanity.