Friday, May 19, 2006

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope - Quick Review

Rewatching this made me realize why this film turned the movie going world on its ear in 1977 and established itself in our popular culture. Compared to what came in I-III, the story was very simple and honest. I don't think that watching the second trilogy has really altered my viewing, and IV still stands out in a class all by itself. It was a lot of fun to rewatch this.

What I dislike about the version that was released on DVD is what was added to the film in the 1997 release. Much of the computer animation look amateurish when compared to the work in I-III, and I still don't think that it adds to the film. In fact, it detracts because it is so obvious when it happens. The worst offender has to be the establishing shot as they enter Mos Eisley.

So, I am definitely looking forward to owning the version of Star Wars that is coming out in September. Yes, it is going to be a non-frill release, but, I can finally retire my VHS Tapes and Laser Discs.

Now, it's time for dinner break and a trip to Red Robin.

No comments: