Saturday, February 18, 2006

American Idol

Cindy and I like the television show American Idol. The current series has reached the final 24 contestant milestone. This year they did something different: typically, after “Hollywood week” the show has its final 24 contestants. However, to increase the drama, this year they left 20 extra contestants that needed to be cut. They did this by bringing each contestant, one by one, up an elevator and down a long hall to stand in front of the judges. There is a brief pause before the contestant’s fate is realized. That pause must last for an eternity, as they listen with heart racing and palms sweating for the words that will propel them to stardom. But, what they are told does not mesh with those hopes and dreams: “I’m sorry, it’s a no. You are not going on.” The contestant has this look of utter confusion: “What has just happened here?”

A good friend recently opened up and shared past encounters with various Christians. This got me to thinking about how many people go to a Christian church and even label themselves a Christian, but are indeed lost. How many Christian’s use the Grace of God as a license to sin? Do I ever do this? How many in that moment of judgment before Christ will hear something worse than “I’m sorry, it’s a no,” but will hear “Who are you? Leave.”

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (Matthew 7:21-23 KJV)

No comments: