Sunday, April 22, 2007

Thoughts about VT

I am not sure who actually reads this.

My main purpose for starting a blog has been to give several high school friends (you know who you are) a way of keeping tags on me. Along the way, I know of a few others who pop in from time to time.

I make no excuses for what I believe, even though some who read this may wonder how I can. I do. There is a faith in God that runs very deep in the fiber of my being. Those high school friends were there when it began.

This week has been very somber because of the tragedy at Virginia Tech. For Rick, Jay and Todd, consider if something happened at USC. The impact that it would have in the local area gives you some idea of how this has impacted even Hampton Roads. We know families who were directly affected.

And in all of this, the question comes: why? And deep inside, I can only reply that I do not know. I only know that we live in a fallen world: one that has been given over to itself. We live in a world that does not seek God. No, not one.

But I have patience.

Like the harvester, God is patient for the rains to fall, for the harvest to be full. And when it is, I know that Christ Jesus will come back, and the second act will begin. But until then, we live and we die.

This song, by Third Day, has been coming popping up for me all this week. The refrain is:

There is hope for the helpless
Rest for the weary
Love for the broken heart
There is grace and forgiveness
Mercy and healing
He'll meet you wherever you are
Cry out to Jesus, Cry out to Jesus

It has helped me with this week.


3 comments:

Rick said...

Thought all week about how the same thing would happen here at USC - large campus, no way to tell others, any "loner" able to to unspeakable evil. Hoping it wakes up some of the quiet ones to start interacting, and some of the rest of us to start reaching out somehow.

Todd R. Vick said...

Between your thoughts, Carlos, and Rick's postings about seeds, sowers, and weeds, and considering what has been happening in my church, I am praying that major good will rise up from this tragedy in your neck of the woods, my friend. I am happy that you were there when my faith journey began as well.

James said...

Bumped into Croan in Chicago when this happened, and we asked ourselves the same question - what if this had been at our school? We could not imagine. We could not answer. We were speechless. It was such a disturbing topic that we transitioned to lighter conversational fare: the Bush administration.