Saturday, October 27, 2007

Comfort Zone

Yesterday, I took a half day at work. Our small group was preparing and serving meals at the Judeo Christian Outreach Center. I knew the location, and as it turns out, I had worked in a building that was a block away from the Center. What was neat was involving the kids in this project. As we were leaving, Katie looks at me, a little worried, and said "I don't want to feed the old people." I got down on her level and explained that this wasn't that type of place, but rather a place were people could go for food and shelter. The people were not necessarily old, but, did not have very much, if any, money.

We got there around 4:00, and started preparing the food we had brought. Other class members began showing up, and at 6:00, we were serving the people who had come. By 6:20, it was over. I found Katie and asked how it went (over at the drink station). She said it went great, and that she was glad she came.

This type of activity is definitely not in my comfort zone. But, it is one that grows me, just in the same way a good Bible study would. I forget what a "servant to all" looks like if I never become a servant to anyone. I hope that I am giving enough opportunities to the girls to get the bigger picture. The outreach center was an easy place to start (almost prepackaged), so where can we go from here?




Powered by ScribeFire.

3 comments:

James said...

What a great thing to teach your daughter at such a young age.

Steve said...

I'm sure she'll remember that for the rest of her life. What a great idea.

Todd R. Vick said...

Moments like that are lifechanging, to be sure.