Friday, May 16, 2008

Sometimes, I get them cramps real hard

The post titles comes from one of my favorite "quotable" movie, Raising Arizona and somewhat describes an event that occurred around 4:30 this morning. Minding my business, and sleeping soundly, my right calf muscle decides that it wants to cramp up real hard. Ouch. I stood up, trying to stretch out the muscle, but that just seemed to make it worse. The pain got to a level where I could not breathe, and I was seeing stars: it really, really hurt. But, it eventually released and I got back to sleep.

All day long, that muscle has just hurt. Between that, and some upper back spasms, and just feeling lousy today, I left work about thirty minutes after arriving. Cindy and the girls were leaving for a field trip to the marine science museum, and I had the house to myself. I wanted to lay on the couch with my heating bad and some aspirin. I fired up the Windows Media Center and my Xbox and watched "Netflix" until I feel asleep. No leg cramps.

3 comments:

Martha said...

When I get those, I have to get out of bed and walk around on my tip toe to stretch out my calf that has the cramp.

I've jumped out of bed and scared Jim in the middle of the night to hear him ask me what in the world am I doing. It sounds crazy, but it works and it kills the cramp before it gets worse.

Martha said...

Oh - they can also be aggravated by dehydration. Daddy has leg cramps and I started having them as a teenager. I wonder if it also has something to do with the clotting (factor V leiden) mutation. No scientific information on leg cramping associated with that, but who knows.

My worst one resulted in a very sore calf for a couple of days when I was in college. Wish I had known about the tip toe relief a long time ago!

Steve said...

I fell asleep at my desk once in school with my feet propped up and ended up pinching a nerve in my lower calf. The sensation of your foot being asleep for 3 days is no fun. Felt like I was walking around with a swim fin on. Sir, you have my pity.

That is one of my favorite quotes from that movie as well.