Saturday, August 09, 2008

Bad Week Behind Me.

I can honestly say that I am glad last week is over. But, I don't want to bore you with those details, so I will highlight the other stuff.

  • I was really saddened to hear that Bernie Mac died today. He became the voice of parenting that I wish I could use. Bernie was a really funny guy and always made me laugh.
  • I am reading Harry Turtledove's Guns of the South. In this Science Fiction alternate reality, a group of South African Whites steal a time machine and travel back to the Civil War to arm the confederacy with AK-47s. The book is a real page turner, but, how will it end?
  • Today I finally cleaned my car. Really, I was starting to apologize to my fellow coffee runners every time they got in. It did not reach the legendary funkiness of George's mini-van (a classic post), but it had its own double dutch bus aroma all of its own.
  • This morning, I took Megan out for a breakfast date. We went to the Broken Egg Bistro. She had a pancake and a slice of bacon. I had two biscuits covered in sausage gravy, two eggs and hash browns. We had great conversation.
  • For lunch, I took Katie out on a luncheon date. We went to TGI Fridays. Katie had chicken fingers and fries. I had a bacon cheeseburger, fries and a coke. We talked all about the boating expedition that she went on yesterday with our local Marine Science Museum.
  • I learned that, while these touch points with my girls are important, I need to schedule them on separate days. I am still stuffed.
  • I've discovered that I really, really like country music.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I read that "Guns of the South" book. It was a page turner, for sure.

I took my daughter out on a date about a year ago. I told her we could go anywhere for dinner she wanted.
"McDonalds," was the reply.

Sausage gravy is good on anything.

Todd R. Vick said...

On my last daughter date, we hit the Chick-Fil-A on Main Street in Columbia. Before that, Burger King. Daughters are cheap dates. :)