Thursday, April 02, 2009

The Murtaugh List

By now, the term “Bucket List” has worked its way into our vocabulary, thanks to the movie of the same name. In the film, two men with terminal cancer decide to do all of the things that they want to do before they “kick the bucket.” Luckily, one of the men has the financial means to allow both of them to accomplish their list.

But what about you and me?

We are in our early forties. We can look forward to, God willing, a long life, but, we also realize that, statistically speaking, half of our life has passed.

We are no longer the group of kids who would stay up all night in the Kirk’s garage watching movies, eating pizza, and (on occasion) smoke a cigar or two.

Which leads me to the title of my post: The Murtaugh List. The name of the list is taken from one of the characters from the Lethal Weapon series, Sgt. Roger Murtaugh, played by Danny Glover. Murtaugh is facing retirement and the good life, when he gets saddle with a new partner, Martin Riggs. Murtaugh’s catch phrase is “I am getting too old for this stuff.” Ok, he didn’t say stuff, but you get the picture.

The Murtaugh List is a list of things that you are getting too old to do anymore. Off the top of my head, I probably could add “Staying up all night watching movies” and “Smoking Cigars” on the list.

What is on yours?

ht to the writers of “How I Met Your Mother” for this hilarious idea.

2 comments:

George said...

I love HIMYM and laughed hard at that episode (especially the Teen Wolf bit).

My Murtaugh list saddly includes:
jogging,
general admission concerts,
and cross country driving after 11pm.

Chuck said...

Barney and his suit PJs was a classic.