Monday, January 16, 2006

Spirtual Shower Mold

Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed thereto according to thy word. Psalms 119: 9



Men, do you cleanse your own bathroom? Not just a superficial "swifer and your done" clean, but a "down on your hands and knees with a sponge and some chlorox" clean? Once you get down to that level, you notice a lot of interesting things about your bathroom that you may not have seen before. I have observed, for instance, that my wife sure does loose a lot of hair, and it gets all over the place. Shower mold is easier to address on a daily, rather than quarterly, basis. And worst of all, I am not as straight a "shooter" as I once believed. The bathroom can be a really filthy, dirty place.

David examines the life of a young man and asks "How will he cleanse his way?" The young man's past looks pretty filthy, and his future doesn't look any better. But, "by taking heed thereto according to thy word" there is hope for the young man. "Taking heed" can be a cautionary warning, but it can also mean circumspection. Circumspection is examining something from all sides. In the case of the young man, he's not just looking at his life from a single direction, but from all around, and seeing how it harmonizes with God's word.

Shower mold, dealt with it daily, it is not a problem. But when you stop wiping down the shower after use, the mold will have a perfect environment to grow again. My sins have been forgiven by Jesus on Calvary. I know that his blood covers my iniquities: past, present and future. I know that God considers me his Child. However, truth be told, I also know that I am guilty of "turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness." I might be a really nice guy, but I know that my "way" will become moldy when I do not circumspectly examine it against what I know to be true, the word of God.

1 comment:

Rick said...

eeww - deep, but eeww. when it's really gunky, it's my job - but luckily we don't go there often. good metaphor for daily scrubbing, sir.