Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Chef Leaves South Park

Part of my morning routine is (after coffee, of course) to quickly scan through the headlines at google news. One article that got my interest was about actor Issac Hayes wanting to be released from his contract from the Comedy Central show South Park. The reason? The show's "growing insensitivity towards personal spiritual beliefs." I had long since given up on this show, along with other shows, because of the way it portrays me. My since of humor could laugh at the four kids (especially the fat one), but something would bug me about episodes with the Jesus character. This same feeling bugged me about the Ned Flanders family from the Simpsons. This same feeling bugged me about George Michael Bluth's girlfriend from Arrested Development. Believe, this feeling continues into shows such as Family Guy and Malcom in the Middle, even SNL.

The feeling is that they are making fun of Christianity and they are calling me stupid. To credit South Park, they regularly make fun of all religions. And this is where the truth about Issac Hayes resignation is revealed: he was upset when the show made fun of Scientology, his religion.

As a Christian, I have to stop and ask myself, do I have a sense of humor? Come on, it's just a TV show! Lighten up, don't get bent out of shape over this. The problem is, I do have a great sense of humor, and that is what allowed me to tolerate these shows for so many years. But here is the rub. I have gotten to know who Jesus is much better in the past ten years. I understand now how he has affected my relationship to his Father.

No comments: