Friday, April 14, 2006

Review: V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta is not the film that everyone is going to enjoy, but I did. The problem, in general, with science fiction, fantasy and superhero films is that the target audience is very narrow. And as such, the industry generally does not know how to make good films in this genre. Yes, Hollywood does make good sci-fi, fantasy and superhero films, but it is always a hit and miss affair.

That is why I was my expectation level was set so low for V.

The source material for the movie is based on Alan Moore and David Lloyd’s works from the eighties, and adapted by the Wachowski brothers. The film is set in a fascist Britain, sometime in the near future. In this world, we are introduced to Evey, played by Natalie Portman and the titular character, V (Hugo Weaving). V masks himself behind the visage of Guy Fawkes, and has set his mind on the single purpose of overthrowing the new government. Anarchy and terrorist attacks are his weapons.

Given the current state of affairs, I found this an interesting theme. There will be instant comparisons, of course, between the fictional government and our own, but I am not that thin skinned. Oppressive rulers have been a common theme in Science Fiction, and that a government was chosen instead of an emperor makes no difference. The instrument that ultimately overthrows the government is the people oppressed by that government.

I like the film. Hugo Weaving never shows his face, and anyone could have played this role, but he has one of those incredible voices. This is possibly my favorite role that I have seen Natalie Portman in. Bear in mind that, beyond Star Wars and The Professional, this is the only other role that I have seen her in. V for Vendetta is not for everyone, but, I think if you are a fan of Science Fiction, you will enjoy this film.

No comments: