Thursday, June 29, 2006

Patriotic Trombones

Last night at Orchestra rehearsal, it dawned on me that I have been playing the trombone for 26 years. On my sixteenth birthday (celebrated by going to the swamps with George and Mr. Mace and then catching a sneak-preview of Gremlins with Jay at the Bush River Cinemas...best part of that, besides the poster for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, was getting to drive home with my new license), I got the Conn 88-H that I still play today. I participated in marching band at Airport High School and the University of South Carolina and even majored in Music Education. During my Air Force days, I did not play that much, but still had my trombone with me in Japan. Once we settled into a church, we joined the Orchestra and I get to play at least twice a week (Wednesday Night and Sunday Morning). On the whole, I consider myself to be a decent enough player, and I enjoy what I am doing.

I was definitely never as good as these young ladies. So, to kick off the Fourth Of July weekend, here is a John Phillip Sousa's Stars and Stripes Forever, as played by this fine Trombone Quartet.

No comments: