Thursday, January 25, 2007

Hobo Soup

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28

Late in high school, I started participating in my church's Awana program as an Awana Leader. On one event, we made Hobo soup. In case you have never had Hobo soup, let me describe it for you. Basically, everyone brings a can of soup and dumps it into this massive cast iron pot. Broccoli, Beans and other vegetables are also brought in and dumped in the pot. It has a brown, gruel like texture, and I don't even like broccoli that much. The result is something that looks awful, however, it tastes wonderful.

This verse from Romans is a lot like that good taste. God does not promise that every detail of your life will be good. We experience so many hardships in life: death of two siblings, miscarriage, loss of a job. These are things that I have faced in my life, and not a one of these details was good. But I believe that God has worked all of these together for good because he has called me to Him and I do love Him.

2 comments:

Rick said...

Good stuff, Chuck. Sounds like it's working through your life. Ain't it good to process, at least find something redemptive in the stuff of life? Thanks for that.

Todd R. Vick said...

Carlos, your faith in the midst of "gruel" has always been an inspiration to us...your pals.